Wednesday, June 13, 2012

REALISTIC BALANCE: HOW OFTEN, WHAT IFS, & THE 'BE CAREFULS'

You are committed to cleaning up your diet but the question remains...how OFTEN do I eat this way?

This journey is going to look different for each person...and your percentage of clean eating may change as you learn more and become more confident in HOW to do it.

HOW OFTEN:

Obviously, if you are doing this for weight LOSS, you really need to jump in w/ both feet as soon as you can and get going.  If you only eat 50% clean, you might lose SOME but you won't reach your weight goal and I'm afraid you could easily slide back into old habits.  Plus, eating clean is, in many ways, re-training your BRAIN and your BODY.  Both your brain and your body are going to go into a sort of..shock phase for lack of better words.  As you rid your body of all the gunk, your body might try and convince you that you really NEED that diet soda.

Dig deep, find your inner spark, and let God turn it into FIRE.  Find SOMETHING that helps you fight the old addictions.  Chew gum, down some lemon water, grab carrot sticks..replace the old w/ the new.  Hmmm...Scripturally, doesn't this sound familiar???  (put off the old, put on the new) Don't you just LOVE how God's Word is TIMELESS? 

So how serious ARE you?  I think most the experts say..."Allow yourself 1 cheat meal per week".  I think that is a great goal to start off with from the very beginning.  I really love my dessert recipes posted on this site b/c they taste like I'm cheating, but really, they are packed w/ nutrition.  So I get the best of both worlds. So even when I "cheated" I didn't really "cheat" that bad. 

WHAT IF'S

What if my boss wants to treat me to lunch?  What if we go to someone else's home?  What if we are on vacation?  What if, what if, what if....

What if...

You told your boss you can't go out to lunch anymore because you are pursuing a healthier lifestyle?  (a friend of mine did that today!)

What if...

You still went out to lunch w/ your co-workers but just order the grilled chicken green salad, hold the dressing and ask for oil/vinegar?

What if...

You packed your own lunch the night before and took it along with you?

What if...

You inspired everyone in your office/work place to bring their own lunch 4 out of 5 days a week?

What if...

You packed your tennis shoes in a bag and after a quick, light lunch you walked around your work parking lot for 20-30 minutes or walked up and down the stairs? (By the way, "stair running" is actually now officially a SPORT and there are even organized races happening all over the US.  It is one of the VERY BEST workouts and for those who work in office buildings that has them, it's a GREAT workout to do during lunch or even right before/after work.  30 minutes of stairs...you will be feelin' it!) 

What if...

You graciously ate whatever your host prepared for you, not even worrying about calories or fat and counted that as your "cheat meal" for the week?   

What if...

On vacation you ordered steamed vegetables and grilled chicken breast or salmon instead of the 12 oz steak and french fries, dipped in loads of ketchup?  


GET THE POINT????  Find accountability partners...people who will really push you in the right direction and/or take this journey WITH you.  Accountability is very important. 


THE 'BE-CAREFULS'...

As you start to get the hang of it and you are seeing the fruits of your labor, 2 things can easily creep into your heart if you aren't careful.

1. PRIDE.  Oh how easily it can turn into..."Look at me and what I've done" vs "Look at how God is at work in my heart!"  HUMILITY.  GRACE.  MERCY.  Don't let pride sneak in.  One thing that keeps me very humble is being honest about my struggles.  When we are an open book and are REAL with ourselves and with others, that's when we can evoke the most change, both in our OWN lives but it can also inspire change in those around us. 

2.  IDOL.  Call it "OCD", VANITY, PASSION or whatever else you want to sugar coat it with...But listen to me...just as eating JUNK can become an addiction, SO CAN EATING HEALTHY BECOME AN IDOL.  Anything you pursue MORE THAN GOD is a false idol.  Want to know something CRAZY?  Ladies, I'm going to be real with you for a second.  I'VE HAD TO CONFESS TO GOD OVER THIS VERY SITE.  I'm so passionate about this.  I love to educate.  I love to cook.  I love to share my success AND my failures.  I love that people are finding this blog helpful.  BUT...I've already had to tell the Lord that I'm sorry it has STOLEN AWAY TIME FROM HIM.  (Don't worry...I'm back on track, now.)  But do you see?  See how the master accuser (Satan) works?  He can take something good and STILL turn it against you and your walk with God.  He PURPOSELY wants sin to look pretty...so BE ON GUARD.

3.  DON'T GIVE UP.  You will sometimes take a little detour from your diet and some days you completely de-rail.  This is normal and part of the fun, I suppose.  Re-group, clear your head and heart, and get your focus back.  But do NOT throw in the towl!  Endurance is NEVER easy!!!  In my blog about my own story, I mentioned that many MANY times I wanted to quit.  I did P90X when I was still 60 lbs overweight.  After 5 WEEKS OF DOING IT EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, I still had not lost but maybe 1-2 lbs.  I was SO discouraged but I had TO BELIEVE IN THE PROCESS and stuck with it.  I FELT much healthier and active but my outside didn't match my inside.  It's a good thing I didn't throw in the towel because it was around week SIX, yes, SIX that the pounds started slipping off.  Every one's body will respond at a different rate.  BE PATIENT with your body as it tries to figure out what you are doing.

We Americans are so into "instant gratification".  If we don't get what we want right away, it is extremely frustrating to us.  Our kids are the same way.  We, as a society, are not used to having to WAIT. Is 40:31...they that WAIT on the LORD will RENEW their STRENGTH.

So WAIT...your body WILL turn a corner...keep going...and always remember you are not alone!


No comments:

Post a Comment