Thursday, June 7, 2012

Chicken Salad w/ Apples, Grapes and...CURRY!

***FREEZER FRIENDLY***  (thaw when ready to use and store in frig)

I love chicken salad in the summer.  Here is my quick, throw-in-a-bowl healthy recipe that is super yummy.  Thank you Sally (my sister in law) for getting me started on this delicious salad!

2 chicken breasts, boiled and cut into cubes
1/2 cup-3/4 cup of grapes cut in half.
1-1 1/2 stalk of celery, sliced
1 granny smith apple cut into chunks (or whatever apple you have on hand, but I like Granny's)
2 tbsp or so of green onion *optional
juice of 1/2 lemon (or 1 tsp of lemon juice)
a handful of chopped walnuts (or slivered almonds would work) *optional
a handful of raisins or dried cherry or dried cranberries *optional
2 heaping tbsp of PLAIN GREEK YOGURT OR FAGE...add more if too dry but always start w/ less than you'd think, stir and then decide if you need more or not.
A generous squirt of dijon mustard
Sea salt/Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp-1 tsp of curry...I'm always conservative but end up adding more at the end.
**If you love the mayo taste but wanna skip the fat, just add a heaping teaspoon for the best of both worlds.

Toss everything into a big bowl and stir.  LET SIT FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS, OVERNIGHT IS EVEN BETTER.

These measurements are APPROXIMATE since I just toss it all in and call it a day.  I love serving this w/ Pita's or on whole wheat bread.

1 comment:

  1. had this just the other day. always makes me think of you!!

    ReplyDelete