Saturday, June 9, 2012

BIBLE MEMORY TIME: Verses to memorize in regards to weight loss

 All are taken from ESV (English Standard Version) unless otherwise noted.  These were some of MY favorites, but of course, you will find as you travel on your OWN journey God will speak to you through His Word if you ask Him too.  Dig in His love letter to you...He is so very excited to go on this wild ride with you!

It looks like a lot...but remember, it took me an entire year to lose my weight.  And some of these I didn't memorize the entire passage...just lines here and there when I needed a little "push" in the right mental direction.

I think the BEST WAY to memorize is to first WRITE THEM DOWN.  I wrote mine on 3x5 cards (that were on rings) and had them setting up all over my kitchen.  I had a couple of post its in my car and on my bathroom mirror.  And all day long I would 'CHEW' on whatever verse I was working on.  



Gal 5:22-23
 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Gal 5:16-17
 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Gal 5:1
 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

John 15:7-8
 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

I Sam 16:7
 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”



I Cor 3:16-17
16  Do you not know that you[b] are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

I Cor 6:19-20
19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20  for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Matt 11:28-29
28  Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Ps 139:23-24
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
     Try me and know my thoughts![c]
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!

Phil 4:13:  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Psalms 28:7
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
    in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
    and with my song I give thanks to him.

Jer 33:3
  Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.

Heb 12:1-2
 ...Let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

I Cor 9:24-26
 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control...

I Cor 10:31
Whether ye eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Prov 23:21
    21 for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty,
    and slumber will clothe them with rags.

Prov 23:1-3
 23 When you sit down to eat with a ruler,
    observe carefully what[a] is before you,
and put a knife to your throat
    if you are given to appetite.
Do not desire his delicacies,
    for they are deceptive food.

Heb 12:3
  Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.


1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (The Message)

 23-24May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. The One who called you is completely dependable. If he said it, he'll do it!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment