Thursday, June 7, 2012

ALMOST clean Fruit Crisp (use your favorite fruit!)

I made this last night and it tasted fab! Jim (my adorable hub's) LOVED it.  (I still prefer those choc chip cookies! HA!) I used apples, strawberries, and rhubarb. (we grow our own berries and rhubarb so that's what I had on hand, but you can use whatever you want)  Great summer recipe!  It is "almost" clean because I did use a little Sugar in the Raw which is better than refined but not totally "clean".  If you wanted, just use all sucanat or evaporated cane juice.  I also used butter...but 1 could experiment w/ using some unsweetened applesauce to replace some of the butter.  TIP: I thought the topping was a little too thick for my preference...so next time I'll use a little less...but I'll still post what I did and you can make whatever adjustments you want.



Ingredients
  • 2-½ cups fruit of your choice
  • 1 Tablespoon (Heaping) Corn Starch, Tapioca Starch, or Arrowroot
  • 1/3 cup of honey
  • 2 tbsp of pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • a little less than 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or mix your wheat flours, 1/2 spelt, 1/2 wheat, etc) OR use an all-purpose GF Blend
  • ¼ cups Sucanat
  • ¼ cups Sugar in the Raw (or sub out w/ sucanat)
  • ⅓ cups Oats
  • ¼ cups Pecans or almonds
  • Dash Of Salt
  • ¾ sticks Butter, Cut Into Small Pieces (or use less butter & replace w/ unsweetened applesauce and/or coconut oil)
Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine fruit, corn starch, honey, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir and set aside.
In a separate bowl (or food processor) combine flour, 1/4 cup sucanat, raw sugar, oats, pecans or almonds, dash of salt, and butter pieces. Cut together with a pastry cutter (or pulse in food processor) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add berry mixture to a small baking dish such as an 8x8 or pie pan. (make sure it's been greased w/ some olive oil) Sprinkle topping mixture all over the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
Allow to sit for ten minutes before serving.

Top w/ some low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt or some homemade whipped cream sweetened w/ HONEY...not sugar!  (you can't even tell the difference...but please please PLEASE do not eat Cool Whip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment