Sunday, June 24, 2012

MY FOOD JOURNAL: 5 days

As requested, I am going to journal for you exactly what I ate for 5 days.  This varies greatly throughout the year, as I focus on eating WHAT IS IN SEASON.  Right now, I have tons of plums from my neighbors tree, blackberries from our patch, and garden cucumbers coming out of my ears.  I also have a thriving herb garden that I bring indoors during winter months...so I love to cook w/ herbs but also love tossing them into a fresh green salad. 

In a couple of weeks, my focus might be my tomatoes or summer squash or green beans.  I know many people don't have a garden, so you'll be focusing on what is in season at the local grocery store.  Look at the ad's...if eggplant is super cheap, start exploring recipes that use eggplant.  Do you get my point?  This is how you will save money...by buying what is IN SEASON and then working your recipes around that.  Your first year or so might be more work as you research/experiment in your kitchen, but if you stick w/ it, it does get easier and your family (and YOU) will benefit from fresher foods.  But don't ever expect me to buy beets.  BLEH.



Day 1:

BREAKFAST:
 Bob Red Mill's Gluten Free Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal.  (I always look at how much 1 serving is.  I used 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 3/4 cup of water, a tsp of vanilla extract, 1 heaping tsp of ground cinnamon, a tiny squirt of honey, and 4 tbsp of cereal.) 1/2 a banana.

I had 1 cup of coffee with a splash of unsweetened almond milk, a tiny squirt of raw honey, and a pinch of stevia.

ALL DAY, LOTS OF LEMON WATER

No mid-morning snack

LUNCH: 

Cucumber, carrots, and red pepper dipped in Fage w/ dill, lemon, and sea salt.
1 slice of Ezekiel bread w/ 1 slice of turkey meat and a dollop of spicy mustard, spinach, and a little colby-jack cheese.

SNACK:  A handful of organic corn tortilla chips and about 1/4 cup of Pioneer Woman's  homemade salsa.


STILL DRINKING LOTS OF WATER

DINNER:

Roasted Chicken
Spinach Salad with cucumbers (can you tell my garden is overflowing w/ cucumbers?) and fresh corn I scraped off of corn on the cob.  Sprinkled w/ a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar.  Water to drink.

AFTER DINNER 2 plums off our neighbor's tree...HEAVEN!!!

DAY 2:

Breakfast:  

exact same as yesterday.

LUNCH:

Pool day! (packed a picnic)  Kids had PB/J.  I had Almond Butter/Honey on 1 slice of Ezekiel Bread, lots of cucumbers and carrots, some grapes.  Had a handful of Annie's Natural Chocolate Bunny Crackers.

**SPLURGE:  16 oz of diet Dr. Pepper on easy ice.  (But still drinking lots and lots of water all day long)

DINNER

Left-over roasted chicken from the night before, steamed squash from my garden seasoned w/ a little sea salt and fresh herbs.  My hubby had a baked potato but I skipped that. Only water w/ dinner.  After dinner, I had another plum.  What can I say??  They are SOOO good!!!!!  (i do NOT advise if you are trying to lose weight)

DAY 3:

Breakfast:

PANCAKE DAY!  Made the kids some pancakes w/ my whole wheat mix.  The kids top theirs w/ real butter and real maple syrup.  I top mine (had 2) w/ vanilla greek yogurt and a TINY bit of maple syrup.  We all had fresh fruit...blackberries, some sliced banana's.  I still had my 1 cup of coffee w/ almond milk, honey, and stevia.

LUNCH:

Made a whey protein shake fortified w/ fresh spinach, cucumber, 1/4 banana, fresh blackberries, and 1/4 apple.  Super good!!! (and filling!)

SNACK:

Opted to munch on lots of cucumbers and made some hummus.

DINNER:

 Made Ranch Chicken and had 1 breast.  (it was actually HALF a breast after I pounded it...refer to my recipe)  Had a simple spinach salad w/ diced cucumber and some of my homemade ranch dressing.   Had 1 bite of some corn on the cob we bought from a local farmer.  I also made some homemade baked fries and had a small serving.  (No ketchup.)



DAY 4

BREAKFAST:  1 egg, 1 egg white, scrambled; 1 piece of toasted Ezekiel bread w/ a dab of real butter.  Coffee w/ my usual fixin's.

MID-MORNING SNACK:  Apple.

LUNCH:  kefir smoothie.  (Kefir, a little protein shake, spinach, cucumbers, apple, berries, a squirt of agave, chia seeds.)

AFTERNOON SNACK:  some homemade granola...ooo...just reminded me...I HAVE to post that recipe!!!

DINNER:  DATE NIGHT W/ MY MAN!!!  Chipotle Order:  burrito bowl, NO RICE (not even brown), chicken, black beans, lots of lettuce, salsa, YES to guacamole!, NO to sour cream, a LITTLE cheese, please.  SO DELICIOUS!

MOVIE SNACK:  Packed my own (please don't report me to the movie police) 4 cups of my favorite air popped popcorn...so fun and didn't miss the artery-clogging, chemical explosion "butter" movie popcorn AT. ALL.  SPLURGE:  Diet Coke, shared w/ my hub's.  :) 

CHEAT NIGHT!!!:  After our movie, we hit Custards Last Stand where I enjoyed a MINI concrete.


DAY 5

Breakfast:  2 scrambled eggs, coffee w/ the usual.  OH WAIT...I'm OUT OF MY ALMOND MILK!  AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!  So, today i had a splash of my raw milk.  Many people are anti-raw...but the health benefits far outweigh the "risks" in my opinion.  Plus, since going off pasteurized milk, if i start drinking it now I notice my migraines get worse.  (I struggle anyway...adding milk back into my diet seems to make them more often)  The raw milk doesn't give me any problems...hmmm...isn't that interesting?? I should be a lab rat.

LUNCH:  ok, bad, very very bad.  I only had half an apple.  But seriously...this day was CUH-RAZY.  I was so busy.  (I cooked enough food for an army....long story)  So, I hate to admit it, but I literally did NOT have time to eat.  I did munch on some boiled chicken...took about 3-4 bites.  But other than that, I was "in the zone", baby.  I also nibbled on a pepper from our garden to see if I could figure out which variety it was, only to then have my entire tongue, lips and chin feel like they were on FIRE.  Yowza.

DINNER:  Homemade enchilada's w/ homemade enchilada sauce and WHITE CORN TORTILLA'S.  If you dont' mind the taste, go for the corn vs. flour tortilla's.  Less carbs, no gluten.  And in my opinion, taste great!  BTW...making your own enchilada sauce is a cinch.

DESSERT:  had a small scoop of Jim's homemade ice-cream.  He makes it w/ raw milk, organic cream, organic sugar and vanilla extract, and a small amount of sea salt.  Simple, clean, wonderfully delicious.  








No comments:

Post a Comment