Thursday, June 7, 2012

CLEAN Tomato Spinach Cream Sauce over Spaghetti Squash...10 minute prep

Oh Spaghetti Squash, where have you been my whole life????  I think as of right now I'm officially done w/ whole wheat pasta noodles.  If you've never tried using spaghetti squash as a replacement for noodles, my friends, today is the day.  WOW.  The taste is amazing, texture satisfying...I'm never looking back!  An added plus?  in the Winter season, spaghetti squash is cheap to buy so take advantage of these low prices!  Tasty, hearty, delicious, and perfect for those of you watching your carb intake!  NOTE: the squash will need to roast for 45 minutes so either make earlier in the day or the night before.  FYI:  this is a QUICK meal as long as your squash is done.  Next time I make this I'll for sure make a HUGE batch and freeze some.  I wonder how Spaghetti squash freezes?  I just might need to make more and find out. :)

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR SPAGHETTI SQUASH:

Slice your squash length-wise and scoop out seeds/strings.  Line a cookie sheet w/ foil and lightly coat w/ olive oil.  (just a tiny bit)  Place each half FACE DOWN/RIND UP on sheet and bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes.  you'll know its done if the rind is soft.  {If you are making the night before, just stick them in the frig until you prepare dinner the next night.  (you could just leave them facedown on the sheet and put the entire sheet in the frig) OR I suppose you could go ahead and fork out the "noodles" now and stick in a container.  I just thought it might taste better if you wait to scrape until ready for use.  Who knows?  Just do whatever fits your fancy.}

WHEN READY TO USE, I brushed on a little garlic infused EVOO but you could skip this step.  Grab a fork and just "scrape" the strings out.  GO W/ THE 'GRAIN'.  (across the squash)  The result is "noodle-like" goodness.

TOMATO SPINACH CREAM SAUCE:

Ingredients:

1 (14.5) oz can of diced tomato
1/4-1/2 cup of white wine (chix broth would probably do but white wine gives a beautiful flavor)
1/2 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (preferable 1 without any sugar and/or organic)
1/2 cup of spinach puree (i made this in 5 minutes.  boil about 1 inch of water in saucepan and toss in 2-3     cups of spinach.  You'll wonder how such little water can cook that spinach but trust me...it shrinks up!  Once cooked, toss in entire pan into food processor for 30 sec)
1/2 cup of any of the following:  heavy whipping cream, fage strained greek yogurt OR 4 oz neufchatel cheese...or you could mix any of the above.  This is your "cream".  Tonight I happened to have some heavy whipping cream that I needed to use up so i that's what I did.
OPTIONAL: any kind of "spaghetti" dried herbs...oregano, basil, garlic, etc)
Salt/Pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE:

Heat a medium skillet or saucepan on medium heat.  (around 5)  Toss in diced tomatoes.  Allow a little juice to evaporate and pour in white wine.  Stir and allow liquid to reduce about 1/3.  Pour in 1/2 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce and spinach puree.  Stir to combine well and turn down the heat to LOW.  Add whatever version of "cream" you are using.  NOTE: If using FAGE, to avoid curdling put about 1 cup of sauce in a seperate bowl and add the fage, stir until combined and then add that to your saucepan.  Add any dried herbs you want, but you don't have to.  Salt/Pepper to taste.


YOU'RE DONE!  If you want it even "heartier"...(like adding meat) I'd recommend some Tofu.  I've not yet tried that on my hub's but thinkin' this would be a great dish to "introduce" him to it. :)  Remember, Tofu takes on whatever flavor of dish it's in, so this would be an easy recipe to try it out.

FYI:  I didn't measure ANYTHING...I just dumped it all in, so feel free to stray from my measurements...just taste and adjust to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment