Thursday, June 7, 2012

Della's Delicious Apple Cake CLEAN, MOIST, EASY

What a PERFECT dessert for fall...and for them apples so darn cheap right now!  Thank you, Armstrong fam, for allowing me to "tamper" w/ a favorite family recipe.  I'm soooooooo glad I did!!!

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium bowl, combine the following ingredients and stir to "soak" the apples.  Let sit for 20 min or so.

3 cups of peeled and chopped apple
Lotsa honey/agave nectar (just squirt that stuff on liberally all over them apples.  If you got sour apples, like honeycrisp or Gala, squirt a little more.  If you got red apples, use a little less.)
1 cup sucanat
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Sift together:

1 3/4 cup spelt flour (also called wheat pastry) or GF FLOUR
1/2 cup of Oatmeal that HAS BEEN GRINDED IN FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL FINE.  (read ** below)
1/4 cup of WHOLE ALMONDS THAT HAVE BEEN IN THE FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL VERY FINE. (if you don't have any, then add more oatmeal)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of sea salt
2 tsp of cinammon
1/4 tsp of nutmeg (optional)
2 heaping tsp of milled flax (optional)

**the oatmeal and almonds should EQUAL 3/4 CUP TOTAL AFTER being ground.** (I tossed about 1 cup of oatmeal and 1/2 cup of whole almonds in at the same time.  I ended up w/ some left over but stored it for my cookie recipe or you can sub it out for flour in any recipe.)

Add the WET INGREDIENTS (below) to the DRY ingredients (above)...but not the apples yet!:

1/2 cup of UNSWEETENED applesauce (I bought a ton of this organic unsweetened raspberry applesauce at Bargain Zone.  i think there was still some there last I went in.  99 cents a jar. But I digress...)
1/2 cup of coconut oil (if you don't have it, just use all applesauce or sub in olive oil)
2 eggs, added 1 at a time.

Now...mix it up until well blended and last but not least add them apples.

Pour in a GREASED bundt pan (I greased mine w/ coc oil) and bake at 325 for 50 minutes.  Let cool before turning over onto a plate.

Now...the ONLY thing I would add if I were making this for company???  HOMEMADE WHIPPED CREAM FLAVORED W/ A LITTLE VANILLA EXTRACT and SWEETENED W/ HONEY.  MmmHmm...now that would make my heart glad...and my hips a little bigger...

No comments:

Post a Comment