Saturday, January 11, 2014

Toxin Free Living: This one's for the Ladies! (for reals, ladies ONLY)

WARNING!  This article is going to contain some serious TMI.  Serious.  So serious, in fact, that I've tossed and turned for so long as to whether or not I even POST such an absurd, personal blog on the INTERNET of all things!  But this one little change in my life has literally brought back my QUALITY OF LIFE.  And seeing that most of my followers are ladies, I decided its time.  Time to share with my lady friends something that has changed my life.

Today's topic:  PERIODS.  (Ok, men, time to "x" out now.)



DEAR GIRLFRIENDS,
 Let's have a talk, shall we?


"This" is personal.

"This" is embarrassing to discuss.

"This" is TMI.






"This" is how I feel as I type this:

Do I dare???  REALLY GOD???



"This" is how I will feel after I click "Publish":

I cannot BELIEVE I just did that...


But "this" is far too good to keep to myself.  It has changed my life and even how I view that dreaded week.

"This" is not for everyone.

"This" may totally gross some people out.

"This" in my opinion, is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

So what is "THIS"????  Introducing to you:  (drum roll please)...

THE DIVA CUP!!!!!!

Definition:  menstrual cup is a flexible cup or barrier worn inside the vagina during menstruation to collect menstrual fluid. Unlike tampons and pads, the cup collects menstrual fluid rather than absorbing it. Menstrual cups are usually made from medical grade silicone.  It is reusable and designed to last for up to 10 years.  (some manufacturers recommend replacing every year as it is a hygiene product.)  A Diva Cup is an eco-friendly “natural feminine hygiene alternative” and it falls under the larger umbrella of silicone menstrual cups (yup, there are several different brands of these things).

Basically, it’s a medical-grade silicone cup that collects your menstrual fluid; when it’s inserted correctly it forms a seal around the top of the cup and takes care of business. It fully replaces toxic tampons and pads. In fact, I have never bought a package of tampons since I switched over.  I have saved LOADS of money by making the switch.  But that's not the only reason why I LOVE "this".  

HOW COME MY OB/GYN NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT IT????  You would think this topic would be heard by every OB doctor when a woman has her annual checkup.  But they aren't talking about it and I don't get why.  Rather, a very good friend of mine called me up one day and said, "Hey, have you ever heard about the Diva Cup?"  As we were on the phone together I googled it and was hooked almost immediately.  I ordered one that very night and have NOT ONCE regretted my decision to do so.  

I won’t get overly graphic because there are many sites that explain the how of the cup better than I can, and if you’re wondering about the fit, the Diva Cup website outlines the nitty-gritty details, pictures of the cup, and instructions.  I even watched a youtube instructional video!  HA!  (it was very tasteful and not at all graphic visually...just a woman explaining how it works)    But let me add...some of the tutorials were HILARIOUS!  Do NOT be looking for my youtube on this particular subject!  Moving on...

Do I have your attention yet?  

10 REASONS WHY I LOVE IT:

1.  CONVENIENCE:  It can be worn 10-12 hours at a time.  Yep, that's right.  It's is COMPLETELY SAFE because there’s no risk for TSS like with tampons.  


2.  DESIGNED FOR THE ACTIVE LIFESTYLE.  It's designed for ANY activity.  This thing, when inserted correctly, STAYS PUT.  EVEN...get this...EVEN if you have prolapse issues which a lot of women have after having babies naturally.  


3.  YOU NEVER HAVE TO SEND THE HUSBAND TO THE DRUG STORE AGAIN!  :) Nor do YOU have to go.  It is AN IDEAL TRAVEL companion, especially for those who travel/live in 3rd world countries.  I know this sounds nuts, but I've considered buying this for missionaries on the field!  Or even for women around the world...this would change their lives in a real, practical way. 


4. IT'S "GREEN" AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY.  The cup is reusable for a decade (unless your dog eats it) and there is nothing else you have to buy to use with it. You aren't filling up landfills.  This is recycling at its finest!


5.  COST EFFECTIVE:  I’ve done the math ladies. The amount of money we spend over our lives on disposable pads and tampons is mind boggling. If I roughly guesstimate a woman’s fertile life ranges from age 13-48 (seems like a good average to me), that’s 35 years!
Now for the very very rough mathy math:
  • Tampon Pack: $5
  • Pad Pack: $5
  • Monthly Cost: $10
  • Yearly Cost: $120
Lifetime 35-year cost: $4200
(This number does not account for inflation or taxes either!)
Basically, we’re making the companies behind Always and Tampax rich. Especially when you consider about 50 percent of the population needs this stuff. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather save thousands of bucks by buying a couple of Diva Cups over my lifetime. That’s just good financial sense. Period.  (excuse the pun)  
I purchased mine off amazon for $25.  Eventually I would like to purchase 1 more so I can have one in my purse at all times for those emergency situations.
6.  SLEEP:  No more midnight bathroom trips. No more sleeping on towels. No more doubling-up. The Diva Cup can be worn all night long, unlike a tampon. Sleep soundly for 8-12 hours. I dare you.  Of course, unless you are a mommy or have a snoring husband.  :)
7.  FREEDOM:  Stop stuffing your purse full of tampons and pads. Carrying stashes of girlie stuff is a thing of the past. With the Diva Cup, your period worries are no longer woes. Go to school or work and forget about it. No more bathroom trips till you get home hours later. You are free.  Sometimes I forget completely that I even have it!  You can use it when you don’t have your period. That means if you are expecting your period you can have it in already and not have to worry about soiled clothing. 



8.  LESS CRAMPING.  I don't know the scientific reasons why...maybe less toxins?  maybe because it doesn't mess w/ my PH balance?  But I swear by it.
9.  COMFORT.  You don’t feel a thing.  
10.  IT'S SAFE AND NON-TOXIC, unlike the chemical laden tampons and pads.  Even if you use organic cotton tampons, you are still messing your PH balance.  The non-BPA medical-grade silicone is far safer for your lady-parts than the surfactants, adhesives, and additives they use in tampons and pads.  There is NO risk for TSS.  Your natural PH balance is not compromised.  

CONS:
1.  LEARNING CURVE:  It takes about 3 months to get the hang of it.  Be patient.  It DOES get easier.  Once you have it down you'll be SO glad you stuck w/ it.  There IS a learning curve and until you get it down you will most definitely leak, so you'll need liners.  You can even buy organic reusable panty liners online!  
2.  INVASIVE.  You have to be comfortable w/ your body.
3.  DISCREETNESS:  Difficult when in public bathrooms.  This could POTENTIALLY be tricky...BUT...keep in mind that it's good for up to 12 hours at a time so the chances that you'll even have to be in this situation is RARE.  You can do your own research or message me privately to see how others are "discreet" if in this situation.
4.  INVESTMENT:  You have to buy one to try one.  If you end up hating it (rare, but it happens) then you are out the $$ you spent on it to try...and it's not really the type of thing you re-gift to someone!  HA!
5.  SANITIZE:  This is not a con for me, but I do sanitize mine in boiling water after use.  This may be a con for some due to the inconvenience.  
So there you have it.  Something that I've wanted to share for a very long time but my own embarrassment kept me from doing so.  But maybe, if it helps just ONE GIRLFRIEND, then I can rest easier tonight knowing that by putting "my business" out there...it was all worth it.   Know why?  Because YOU are worth it!   

Love ya girlfriends.  ~Misty

PS:  this is yet another way to live  TOXIN FREE!  For details on our line of toxin-free household products, please visit our website HERE and/or like our business page on Facebook listed as 'HAPPY HEART HOMESTEAD'.  

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of the Diva Cup...thank you for sharing! I know this was not easy for you to share, but I am thankful that you did! I have 2 daughters that will come of age eventually, and I would much rather them know and use this than any tampon product...wish OBGYNs would share this information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been intrigued by the Diva Cup for years, but have never tried it. Your blog was well-written and I think 2014 might be my year. Thanks for the heads up on the 3 month-ish learning curve. I tend to give up sometimes if it doesn't work fairly rapidly. I appreciate you posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the 2nd time a dear friend has brought this to my attention. Considering it.

    ReplyDelete