Thursday, January 30, 2014

Raw Power Bars: these are AMAZING.

These are my most favorite RAW bars EVER.  Your hands will get messy...and the processing of dates can get a little tedious.  I usually have to do mine in steps but it is SO worth it.  (Not hard at all to make, just messy and a tad tedious.)




2 ¼ cups almond meal (I like Trader Joes or I simply make my own by buying whole almonds and processing them in food processor)
  • ¼ cup cacao powder (you can leave out if you want)
  • 15 large medjool dates, pits removed (I buy mine at Costco.  Do NOT buy already pitted as they will be very dried out.)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 10 drops stevia (Optional)...I find that these bars are sweet enough for me without this
  • 2 tablespoons raw honey or organic honey or agave nectar 
  • 2 tbsp of chia seeds (or flax meal)
  • ½ cup sulfite-free dried cherries or cranberries (I love dried cherries!)
OPTIONAL:  you can add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, oats, etc.  This is an easy recipe to adjust to your liking!
  1. Toss almond meal and cocoa powder into a food processor. (if you have a small processor toss in half of the amount...we are only doing this so that when you add the dates it isn't too sticky)
  2. Put dates in a food processor and process until blended into dry ingredients.  Scrape into a large bowl.  Continue this process until all your dates are processed.
  3. Add all of the ingredients into the bowl.
  4. Stir (or work in) dried cranberries with a spoon or by hand.  I USE MY HANDS.  It's really the only way to get it all mixed together.
  5. Press mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking dish
  6. Freeze for 1 hour, or until firm, then cut into 16 squares.  I usually keep mine refrigerated.  You can cut them and package them in little ziplock bags ahead of time for a snack on the go.  
Makes about 16 squares (not very big)

No comments:

Post a Comment