Friday, June 21, 2013

HOMEMADE BUG SPRAY...safe for infants!

There is nothing better than knowing I'm putting SAFE ingredients on my kids.  This is my all-time, tried-and-true bug repellant recipe.  It's so easy, smells delightful, and WORKS!  (we LIVE outdoors in the humid mid-west so mosquitos and ticks are hard to avoid)

SOME PEOPLE HAVE SENSITIVITIES TO ESSENTIAL OILS, SO ALWAYS PUT IT ON A SMALL SKIN AREA TO SEE IF YOU OR YOUR CHILD HAS ANY KIND OF REACTION.  


Here's what you'll need.

1.  Glass Jar to store/mix it all in.  (I bought a dark glass jar with a seal tight lid)
2.  Smaller spray bottles (such as the one pictured above).  I highly recommend DARK BOTTLES to filter out sun.  And try and keep it indoors, although I know that's not always feasible.  I carry a small bottle in my purse/car for those times when we find ourselves at a local park or outdoors during the summer months.
3.  Good bug-repelling essential oils OR make it easy on yourself and just buy a synergistic blend already made!  (this is what I do)  Don't know where to buy a good blend?  Click HERE to see what I buy.  **NOTE:  whatever oils you end up with, make sure that it includes GERANIUM OIL OR TEA TREE OIL to repel ticks.

4.  1 bottle of witch hazel.  My local Walmart and Target carry witch hazel.
DIRECTIONS:

1.  Pour entire bottle of 12 oz witch hazel into large glass jar.
2.  Add 75 drops of the synergistic blend.  **NOTE:  if you spray it on and still end up with bites you need to add more oil.  Add 25 drops, try again.  Repeat by adding more oil until you see desired results. (no bug bites!)  
3.  Shake jar.  DONE!  
4.  Use a little funnel to transfer to smaller bottles.  Store in dark, cool spaces if possible.  Avoid leaving out in sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment