Tuesday, July 16, 2013

VITAMINS/MINERALS/HERBS...a few thoughts...



SUPPLEMENTS.  I'm always curious as to what people take and why.  Walk into the vitamin/mineral section of any store and it is OVERWHELMING to say the least.  How does a person know where to start?  What to take? How to take it?  Too many assume that since it is "natural" it is SAFE.  Well, eucalyptus is "natural" but too much can shut down the liver and one LICK of certain mushrooms can make you keel over.  Get my point?  But I have to say, the more I explore alternative natural treatments, the more I am in awe of God's creation.  His design is so perfect, so beautiful...For example, I never really knew why it was such a big deal that Baby Jesus was given Frankincense and Myrrh.  What's a baby going to do with some expensive oils?  Then I learned the benefits of these oils and I am SURE Mary used them often to combat viral and bacterial infections, clean scraped knee's, and overall keep her family healthy.

When seeking NATURAL ALTERNATIVES it is HIGHLY IMPORTANT that you SEEK OUT PROFESSIONALS IN THAT PARTICULAR FIELD.  Naturopathic Doc's/Certified Herbologists/Chiro's and Certified Holistic Nutritionist's are all wonderful resources.  (don't just ask 1 doctor, get several opinions)  DO YOUR HOMEWORK.  I cannot even BEGIN to tell you the amount of material I've checked out from our local library or the number of websites I've visited, all related to natural remedies.  It's a fun, fascinating endeavor, but it's WORK.  I have spoken w/ a doctor from each of the above fields, paid $50 for a phone consultation w/ a certified herbologist, and spoken w/ my OB/GYN (I have hormonal issues) and then made the most educated decision I possibly could.  Unfortunately, most general practitioners don't know very much about natural alternatives but you can and should always consult your doctor first and foremost.  Every now and then you'll find one who is very much open to natural alternatives and might even have some insight for you on the topic.

I want to make it very clear:  I AM NOT ANTI-MODERN MEDICINE.  There is MOST definitely a time and a place for it.  We use it in our home when necessary.  It saves people's lives every day.  BUT...when my kids have bad head colds, get stung by a bee, have chigger bites, or scratch up a knee, I don't grab OTC (over-the-counter) drugs right away.  We have the philosophy of always trying NATURAL FIRST.  We give it time to do its work and have learned patience.  Most always, natural takes longer.  It just does.  You have to re-train your brain in this matter b/c we, as a culture, want immediate gratification.   However, allowing your body to heal on its own naturally is so important HOLISTICALLY and really will in the long run SAVE you money as you experience better overall health and therefore, less doctor visits.

PREVENTION IS KEY.  The number 1 preventive "medication"??  FOOD!  If you eat RIGHT and WELL you will not get sick as often.  Period.  You eat processed crap and you'll feel like crap.  Period.

It's such a simple concept yet Americans (in general) do NOT want to change their diet.  People have chronic migraines, chronic joint pain, GI issues, shingles, fibre myalgia, etc and the one thing they won't explore is a change of diet.  More often than not, it is not even suggested by the medical field.  Just in the last month, I've heard of THREE personal accounts of people who had CLASSIC GI SYMPTOMS and/or chronic migraines and not ONE of their doctors suggested them go on elimination diets to see if they have allergies to certain foods.  This truly confuses me.  I don't understand why they aren't checking this FIRST rather than "last resort".  But I digress...

We (my family) are RELIGIOUS about taking our multi's in the colder months because  1.  We aren't eating as much fresh foods  2.  We are stuck indoors more often and therefore get less Vit D and are exposed to more germs. I admit I don't give my kids their multi during the summer.  But we are eating fresh herbs and grow our own fruits and vegetables, eating lots of wild blackberries and mulberries which are loaded w/ anti-oxidants and getting plenty of outdoor exercise!

I am still learning ALL the time about the best way to approach our healthcare.  I do tend to "buck the system" but in doing so, I don't want to become close-minded to the medical professionals.  (You can ask my sister who is currently in school to become a Nurse Practitioner...she gets phone calls OFTEN!)  But...in my natural alternative endeavor I want to be EDUCATED in every decision I make.  I TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY by gathering all the information I can from BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN and then doing what I feel is best for myself and my family.

Is it a ton of research?  Yes.  Is it overwhelming?  Sometimes.  But reach out to those professionals who are TRAINED and it will most definitely lighten the load.

And one more reminder:  even "good" endeavors can become consuming.  I learned the hard way how easy it is for this endeavor to become more important than my relationship w/ Christ.  Checks and Balances...stay balanced and open-minded...but more than anything you pursue, seek ye FIRST the Kingdom of God...







No comments:

Post a Comment