Friday, February 22, 2013

Lazy Morning French Toast Mash (GF/DF options)

I had 2 gluten-free dinner rolls that were hard as a rock but I sure didn't want to toss them out!  So this morning I whipped together a "mash" similar to a french toast bake. There are TONS of delicious french toast casseroles out there, but this one took all of 10 minutes and tasted great to me.


Next time you have some crusty bread that you are about to throw out, think again and turn it into a delicious breakfast.  You can use any kind of bread.

Enjoy!

This is for ONE SERVING:




2 crusty dinner rolls or any other kind of bread
1/4-1/2 cup of milk or milk alternative
1 egg
1/2-1tsp of vanilla extract.  (I used a full tsp)
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of honey
1 tsp of butter or EVOO  (I used my blood orange EVOO from Heavenly Olive Oils/Vinegars)
pinch of nutmeg (optional)
pinch of salt (optional)
1 heaping tbsp of ground flax

TOPPINGS:  maple syrup, flavored Balsamic Vinegar, dried cherries, fresh blueberries, pecans, etc.

1. Whisk all the ingredients MINUS the bread and flax in a small bowl.  (I mixed mine all up in the same pan...what can I say?  That's why this is called LAZY morning mash!)

2.  Break up the bread into small bite-sized pieces and place in a small skillet.  Pour the milk mixture over the bread.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes so bread can "soak up" the liquid.  (stir it around every minute or so)


3.  Turn on stove top to medium heat and cook until the liquid is gone.  It will be very mushy.

4.  Turn into a bowl and top w/ ground flax, syrup and some extra yummy-ness like dried cherries or fresh blueberries!


No comments:

Post a Comment